Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Life is Short

My very good friend Kelli lost her mom this week. It was quite a shock. We are not at an age to be dealing with the death of our parents. I'm blessed enough to have all of my grandparents around still, so death is a fairly rare experience for me.

This this episode gave me cause for reflection. And these are my thoughts:

  • It's a cliche, I know, but life really is short. Therefore, you ought to spend your time here on the good stuff. Find what you like and find a way to do it.
  • I spend a lot of time worrying. A lot of time. Worrying. About fairly dumb, or uncontrollable, things. This is a waste of my life. I carry grudges, fight with my husband, I don't see my family more than a dozen days a year. Again, waste.
  • People and your relationships with them are more important than whatever else you have going on- your job, your worries, your schedule, whatever. Take time to let the people who are important to you know that they are important to you. This is hard for me, because I feel like I'm always running between things, but I'm going to try to do it more. I'm also going to try to repair some relationships that aren't so great right now. Grudges and anger are not good ways to spend your life. I would hate for my last interaction with a person in my life be one of anger or bitterness.
  • It is really easy to let relationships slip away- people move, change, just get busy. If the relationship is worth it, give it some effort. Friendships don't happen by magic.

No comments: