Thursday, February 7, 2008

Follow up to prior

Another reader posted that there was no way jazz was going to make it, as it did not nearly approach the greatness of the masterpieces of prior centuries. Which prompted the following from me:
I've been to Chartes, played works by all of the above composers and seen the Mona Lisa, Degas' dancers and countless dance companies. But I also know that most people my age (25) have not done, or have any desire to do those things. Maybe the problem is not that our creative culture is barren, but that we are not raising a culture of artistic appreciation. As you know, I teach dance. My husband is an elementary school music teacher. Kids today really have NO idea who even Bach or Beethoven are, let alone Gershwin or Coltrane. We have created a culture that wants easy and accessible. Art, good art, is not either of those things. As I have said before, it requires engagement. Today we want something that just makes us "feel good", not something that makes us think.I fear if we do not cultivate artistic appreciation the works of the geniuses of not just the 20th century, but of all time, can be lost to the ideals of "entertainment" and "instant gratification".

3 comments:

Samantha said...

whoa.... i feel like i should stand up and clap.

Kinesic Sense said...

Why, Thank you. Scott Robinson would be so proud.

Samantha said...

He would, but then he'd make you go to a 56 hr long concert...