Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Christmastime thoughts

Well, I don't have the gifts bought, but I know what I'm going to get for almost everyone. Does that count? I just have one that I can't figure out...I hate that.

I can't wait for Christmas- a break from work, some time with my family, Chris and I are having a party (if you're reading this, you're invited!), and of course, the spiritual aspect.

Christmas this year has me thinking a lot about forgiveness. Something I have a hard time with. Why is forgiveness so difficult? I know it is a healthy thing to do and a spiritually required thing to do; so why does it have to be so hard to achieve it?(Fr. Eddie- do you want to weigh in on this?)

2 comments:

Amy Crawford said...

This is something I have been thinking about as well. I think one of the reasons it can be so hard is that often we equate forgiveness with agreeing. What I mean by that is that when someone does something wrong, forgiving them can feel like we agreed that what they did was okay and it is no big deal. I can't even begin to tell you how many clients I see that feel that way, and it becomes impossible to forgive mothers, fathers, and spouses because to them "forgive" means "the abuse was okay".
Also, sometimes that anger or hurt towards the person who hurt us becomes such a deep part of ourselves, that to forgive means to lose a part of ourself, even though we know it is a destructive part that needs to go. Losing a part of ourselves, whether negative or positive, is always a really scary thing to do.

Kinesic Sense said...

oooh. I really like that.